Secure Messaging Center
1. How do I obtain a Username (UID) and Password (PW)?
- If you are a company/respondent currently reporting for a Census Bureau survey, the UID and PW are generally located on the first page of the Census Bureau form or letter that you received in the mail.
- If you cannot locate your UID and PW, please call 1-800-838-2640 or the branch/office directly responsible for your survey.
2. Why won’t the system let me attach a file?
- The requirements for sending a file as an attachment are:
- The file name must not contain any spaces. For example, Company Survey.pdf must be changed to Company_Survey.pdf or CompanySurvey.pdf.
- The file size cannot be greater than 65 megabytes.
- The file type must be valid (File type/extension must be: .CSV, .DAT, .DOC, .DOCX, .LOG, .PDF, .TXT, .WPD, .XLS, .XLSX, .XML, .ZIP and Census Bureau Manifests).
3. How do I really know the system is secure?
- The URL starts with "https://" as opposed to "http://". The "s" means that the website you are visiting is a secure site.
4. How can I tell if my survey uses the Secure Messaging Center?
- Only those surveys currently in the drop-down list on the SMC Respondent Registration page have access to the SMC. Your survey may be added at a later date.
- To inquire when your survey may be added, please contact 1-800-838-2640.
5. I have additional questions. Where can I find more information?
- Please visit and view the User Guide for more information.
- If you require additional information, please contact 1-800-838-2640.