When and how do we report?
Is my response confidential?
Is my company required to report?
What is the Economic Census?
Can my company report electronically?
Will the 2012 forms differ from the forms my firm completed for 2007?
· The Economic Census aggregates data about our nation’s
26 million businesses to provide the most comprehensive,
detailed, and authoritative facts about the American
· Every 5 years, firms like yours receive a form for each U.S.
location of their company.
· There are over 500 versions of the census report form, each
tailored to particular industries or types of activity.
· Yes. Your response is required by law.
· Title 13, U.S. Code, requires firms to complete and return
Economic Census report forms.
· Yes. Your response is confidential. We use your information
solely to develop summary statistics. Your responses can
only be seen by persons sworn to uphold the confidentiality
provisions of the law and are exempt from the Freedom of
· Title 13 prohibits the census Bureau from publishing any
data that could reveal the identity or activities of an
· The law protects from disclosure any copies of census
reports that you retain in your records.
· Your forms will be mailed to the address you confirm or
correct on the Contact Exchange Card between October and
December of 2012.
· Mail packages will include:
— An inventory list of forms you will receive for each
location of your company and its subsidiaries. The list
will identify the specific report forms required.
— A paper report form for each location of your company.
The number and types of report forms your company
receives will depend on its size and diversity, and its
based on the information you reported to us in
previous annual Reports of Organization
— Please check on the Contact Exchange Card if you plan
to report electronically.
· Completed forms are due February 12, 2013.
· Yes. Download our Surveyor software
from the internet or request it on CD-ROM.
· Report each location individually or use the
software to create or import a spreadsheet for
Good news! Not much has changed since 2007.
However, we have made several improvements
that should make filing easier, including:
1. Electronic reporting is easier
Over the past 5 years we have incorporated
any features requested by companies into our
2. More relevant content
Items related to Leased Employment, Supply
Chain, and E-Commerce were deleted.
Inquiries on franchising, outsourcing, and
health and pension benefit expenses were
added to selected forms to better measure
changing business characteristics.
3. More standardized product detail
All industries will report sales lines and
revenue sources according to the new North
American Product Classification System
This will allow us to produce product data that
is comparable across industries.